LOVING GOD, your Spirit energizes and sustains all that exists.
We praise you for the infinite beauty and diversity that surrounds us in majestic mountains and seas, fertile land, animals, insects and the rich cultures of the human family.
Forgive us for not honoring our covenant with creation, and help us to respond to the many challenges we see:
- Thousands of people and families sleeping on the streets and under bridges in our cities.
- Fear and hopelessness in the face of unemployment, flooding, droughts.
- The pollution of our air and the mountains of garbage that clog our landfills and rivers.
- Countless migrants fleeing the growing poverty caused by environmental degradation.
- The destruction of the Amazon River and its rich indigenous cultures.
- Our consumerism and throwaway culture
We recognize that our ecological sin is destroying nature and harming the poorest people around the world. Move our hearts that we may repent and respond in loving actions!
Strengthen our recognition that we are one human family and that whatever we do to the least of our brothers and sisters, we do unto you. Help us to commit ourselves to making changes to our lifestyles in order to bring about a more sustainable development for our planet.
May we learn from the mountains, plants, water and the wind about the interconnectedness of everything.
May your Spirit guide us in truly protecting and caring for our common home!
“In union with all creatures, we journey through this land seeking you. May we sing as we go. May our struggles and our concern for this planet never take away the joy of our hope. Praise be to you!”* Amen.
*Pope Francis, encyclical Laudato Si’ (#244)
This prayer appears in the Spring 2020 issue of Voices of Compassion. To read a PDF copy of the magazine, click here.
You can find an archive of previous issues of Voices of Compassion magazine here.