Mwanza, Musoma and Serengeti Encounter
Tanzania, March 10 – 22, 2020
Deadline for sign-ups: Jan. 10, 2020
Karibu Sana Tanzania – Welcome to Tanzania
“Pole pole ndiyo mwendo.” (Slowly, slowly is the way we go.) For Tanzanians, life is about relationships and being with people. Maryknoll Lay Missioners invites you to meet and spend time with the local people in the beautiful Lake Region of northwest Tanzania.
What Will You Do?
- Visit Maryknoll Lay Missioners in Mwanza and Musoma, both on Lake Victoria; learn about their work with children with disabilities and people affected by HIV/AIDS, as well as their other ministries in health, education, and women’s rights.
- Meet our Tanzanian Maryknoll Affiliates and experience their important work.
- Engage with Tanzanians in the context of the daily routines of their lives, eating and celebrating with them.
- Participate in liturgical celebrations, experiencing local expressions of faith through song, dance and jubilation.
- Experience wildlife in its natural environment on a safari in the Serengeti.
Logistics and Costs.
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation, which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. We will do this via conference call. Our in-country guide is Steve Veryser, current Maryknoll Lay Missioner. You will also be accompanied on the entire trip by another experienced Maryknoll lay missioner from the United States.
TOTAL COST: $ 2,775 (ground cost, local airfare plus registration fee).
This covers the program registration fee, all lodging and meals in country, all transportation within the country (including national air travel), medical insurance with medical evacuation coverage and flying doctors, English- Kiswahili speaking guides, cultural activities, and a safari. International airfare, taxes, and visa are not included. (Round-trip airfare cost from NY is approximately $800).
Friends Across Borders will provide information on obtaining a visa and immunizations, and will help you make the international flight arrangements. Participants are required to arrive in Dar es Salaam on Tuesday, March 10, in the evening and leave on Sunday, March 22, 2020, in the evening.
To make a reservation, please sign up below.