El Salvador Immersion Program
January 31 – February 8, 2020
Registration for this trip is now closed. Check back soon for more dates.
Deadline for signups: November 30, 2019
Bienvenido, Bienvenida a El Salvador – Welcome to El Salvador
2020 marks the 40th anniversary of the assassinations of Archbishop Romero and the four martyred U.S. churchwomen. Honor their memories by joining us on this Maryknoll Lay Missioners-sponsored Pilgrimage to El Salvador.
With El Salvador being one of the three Central American countries from which most of the refugees and asylum seekers at the U.S. border come, you will learn how Maryknoll lay missioners are helping to address the root causes of migration by building peace, opportunity and hope in Salvadoran communities.
As you enter the lives of the people of El Salvador, you will be accompanied by Maryknoll Lay Missioners to go beyond the boundaries of your own culture, meeting and making friends with Salvadorans and learning about solidarity. However, the road to solidarity and sharing with the poor has its risks. The life of the common people in El Salvador is a difficult reality, and you must be aware the country is still in a critical and conflictive moment in its history.
What We Will Do There
- Visit with Maryknoll lay missioners to projects including health through nutrition, Christian base communities, literacy, youth ministry, community development, HIV/AIDS outreach and support, and agricultural and environmental work.
- Visit the tomb of Archbishop Romero, his home and the chapel where he was assassinated.
- Visit the Maryknoll martyrs’ site and the Jesuit martyrs’ site.
- Learn about the lives and culture of the Salvadoran people and share with Salvadorans about their faith, hopes and challenges.
- Experience the beauty of the Salvadoran coast on the beach in La Libertad.
Logistics and Costs
Prior to leaving, Friends Across Borders will provide an orientation which will include education about important cultural norms to follow during the trip. Our in-country guides are Maryknoll lay missioner Becca Muder and Peter Altman.
TOTAL COST: $1,165 (ground cost plus registration fee).
This covers the program registration fee, all lodging and meals in country, all transportation within the country, medical insurance with medical evacuation, English-Spanish speaking guides, cultural activities, and tourist fees. International airfare, taxes, and visa are not included. (Roundtrip airfare cost from Miami is approximately $400-$600).
Friends Across Borders will provide information on obtaining a visa and immunizations, and will help you make the international flight arrangements.
Please make sure your passport is valid through August 2020!
Have questions? Contact FriendsAcrossBorders@mklm.org.